Search This Blog

Saturday 17 March 2012

Food From Above

So I know I've been M.I.A. for a while, but I do have a valid reason (not that it's a good excuse, but still valid). My laptop was in the shop for 3 weeks, because it wouldn't turn on. I had to make a few runs to the library each day to finish my paper and 2 exams in these 3 weeks (so proud of myself!) My computer is now fixed (at a substantial price sigh) but I'm back in business! 



I did not originally plan on coming to Horizon (the restaurant on top of the CN Tower overseeing the whole city 346m above ground) aka 360 restaurant, but my friend planned this surprise outing which is right up my alley! Thank you again mystery friend! :)


Cauliflower bisque (smooth, creamy, super seasoned French soup). Believe me, it was seasoned alright. I feel that the soup itself was already super seasoned, but when they added the blue cheese crème fraîche, it just made it a tad too salty. The olive oil was a nice touch though, it helped take away some of the saltiness and added colour to the presentation.


Hot smoked atlantic salmon terrine. I believe the inside is creme cheese mixed with assorted seeds and wheat type substance wrapped around smoked salmon. Does it remind you guys of a really big piece of sushi? There are also soured olives on the side. Well, I'm not a big fan of raw salmon nor deli-type food, so this was not the dish for me. All I can say is, it tastes like very fancy deli food.


This is the gnocchi, and eh, nothing special.


Chicken milanese. What stole the show isn't the fried chicken patty, but the vinaigrette. Though it says it's grainy mustard, but it's infused with honey and citrus flavours. The zesty zing was a good contrast and compliment (paradox?) to the starchy chicken. I swear I licked every bit of that sauce from that plate. Literally. Well, not really literally. The chicken on the other hand, is meh. Nothing special. I also think it's too fried.


Apple crumble. This is one of those desserts where it tastes heavenly for the first few bites, but you can never finish. The caramelized apples drenched in a vanilla bean broth? on top of melted vanilla ice cream. This is literally the epitome of sugar overload. I'm appreciative of them giving us such a big plat of dessert, but if they gave us a smaller version, I probably wouldn't feel so sick afterwards. Don't get me wrong, this apple crumble is mouthwatering, but approach with caution. Don't eat too much!


Dark chocolate lava cake topped with chocolate ice cream and chocolate syrup. I didn't eat this, because I didn't want to walk around downtown sugar high. But according to my friend, this is very chocolatey, even almost a bit too chocolatey. Again, I would advise anyone who order it to approach with caution.


Glass floor. Too bad it was soo foggy that day! :( We sat there and waited soo long for the fog to clear up but this is the best shot I got.



Me being the dare devil that I am LOL. Not really.



Overall Review:
Food: 7/10
Eh, nothing too special. Standard food.

Ambiance: 9.5/10
The is the number for what it would've been without the fog! Sadly we didn't see much of the city that day.

Service: 7/10
Standard service, but at times we really had to hunt down the server. The food came out pretty fast (partly because there weren't many people there for lunch).

Price: 8.5/10 or 6/10
8.5/10 for winterlicious price. I mean $15 for all we've had is a pretty good deal! I usually get a pasta for that price! But you have to keep in mind we had to pay for a lift fee ~$11 per person to get up there. Therefore 6/10. And if it's not for winterlicious, it's VERY expensive for the quality of food.

Final Verdict: 7/10
This is one of those tourist traps with overpriced food. BUT with that said, the ambiance is breathtaking, especially at night. And it's a good place to go if you wanna impress someone I guess lol! I may come back during winter or summerlicious if there's a special occasion, but that's it.

Address:
CN Tower
301 Front St W

TorontoON M5V 2T6

(416) 362-5411



View Larger Map

No comments:

Post a Comment