Search This Blog

Friday 3 June 2011

Does your food sing to you?


I was around the area studying for my stats midterm, afterwards, I found this place on yelp and decided to give it a try. I am not familiar with North York at all, however, this place is pretty easy to find. 


I got the mango lychee mousse cake with a raspberry and almond macarons. The mousse cake is soft and moist. I was pleasantly surprised by how moist the sponge cake at the bottom was. However, I can get this quality of mousse cake at T&T (minus the moist sponge cake). I was underwhelmed considering I paid $5 for the piece of cake while I can get an 16" for mango mousse cake for less than $25 at T&T. The macarons were okay. The texture of it is great, however, I find the filling (especially the raspberry one) quite artificial tasting. Raspberries are supposed to be light and refreshing, but the filling was heavy, strong and overpowering.

People always get macarons and macaroons mixed up, but in fact, they're two different types of pastries. The above are macarons. The picture below is a macaroon.


Macaroons_in_detail.jpg


Macaroons are always covered in coconut and or almond. They are often eaten like Oreo cookies (dipped in milk). Macaron is the simplified version of macaroons made with flour often filled with buttercream or ganache and macarons are often eaten alone.


I totally forgot the name of this cake. It tastes like a regular cheese cake with chocolate sponge cake at the bottom, but I'm pretty sure this is not what it is since I rarely buy chocolate desserts. This is again, more moist than the other cheesecakes. However, I was not impressed.


Guava mousse cake. Despite its rough appearance, this is actually quite smooth and it melts in your mouth. This is new and it gives you a punch of flavour once it was in your mouth. This is actually the first time I've seen/had a guava mousses cake. It is quite unusual to use a fruit like guava to make dessert, but the flavours translated well into the cake. I just might pay $5 for a cake like this again. 

Overal Review:
Food: 8/10
Despite the fact that L'Opera didn't offer me anything phenomenal, the cakes were actually good (just missing that magic ingredient). The guava mousse cake really pulled the mark up. 

Ambience: 7/10
It has this clichĂ© "modern" design to the shop with patio tables, chairs and wall papers that matches it. It just doesn't really look like a tiny pâtisserie to me. However, it IS pretty comfortable there, except the fact that the air condition was not on on a day that's over 30°C. 

Service: 6/10
I asked the owner for a recommendation and he just pointed me towards the menu. I expected more for the price I paid. 

Price: 4/10
The price is definitely too expensive considering the quantity and quality of food served. 

Final Verdict: 6.25/10
Not impressed. I'd rather bus to Eglington and get myself some authentic French desserts. 

Address:
5291 Yonge St
Toronto, ON M2N 5R3
(416) 733-8830



View Larger Map

No comments:

Post a Comment