Search This Blog

Thursday 16 June 2011

Krazy for Koreans Pt. 5

My friend and I decided to go eat some spicy Korean food on the hottest day in Toronto yet (~40°C) haha. That should show you our dedication to Korean cuisine :P She has eaten at all the restaurants in the Christie Koreatown, and she convinced me to give it another try, so we went to a restaurant called Seoul Restaurant. 



This is my friend's Dak Bokkeum (Spicy Chicken Stew). It was my first time trying this dish and I absolutely loved it! For those who don't know, it contains diced chicken, eggs, green onions, soy bean sprouts and sliced black fungus. The broth is similar to that of Kam Ja Tang, but more savoury. If you've never had this, DEFINITELY try it (especially if you like Kam Ja Tang), you won't be disappointed! 


This is also the first time I've tried the Korean Kimchi Seafood Pancake (kimchi-haemul jeon). It has kimchi (of course), octopus, shrimp, small oysters, onion, and green onions. It also comes with a dip that contains soy sauce, white vinegar, chopped green onion, chilli pepper flakes and sesame oil. I'm usually not a pancake person, additionally I highly detest onions in general, but this dish makes even the green onions bearable (that says a lot). The sauce really brings the flavours out of the pancake. Definitely try this too! 



It was too hot for me to order a hot dish, so I ordered a Korean cold noodles (Naengmyeon) made with buckwheat. On top, there's an egg, sliced beef, cucumber and kimchi radish. I absolutely cannot stand weather this hot, but eating this cooled me down like a nice cold shower. I believe the restaurant only serves this during summer. The buckwheat noodles were heavenly. Spaghetti, vermicelli, pho cannot compare. It's sooo silky, like the texture of silky tofu. This is my new favourite Naengmyeon. This is better than eating ice cream during summer, since it has the same effect, but you will not feel sick from eating too much. No matter how much you eat, you'll still feel good because it's so healthy! You could also drink the broth since it's mostly vinegar. Love love LOVE this! It instantly revived me from the awful heat! 

Overall Review: 
Food: 9.5/10
No complaint except the level of spiciness is kinda off from what I'm used to. The "mild" here is actually more like the "spicy" in all the other restaurants. That may throw people off a little bit, but no complaint on the food! 

Ambience: 7/10
Well, for the price we paid, we didn't expect it to look like an Italian bistro. The place just looks like a food court, but everything is clean, so I'm satisfied. :) 

Service: 9.5/10
I was pleasantly surprised that the server speak authentic English. No communication problems unlike many other Korean places. My friend got takeout, and that came a tad bit late. But the service was quite great for Asian cuisine. 

Price: 10/10
Paid ~$20-$25 for all the stuff above. That's less than $15 per person, tips included. We also couldn't finish everything on the table. Yeah, it was great. 

Final Verdict: 9/10
Definitely recommend this place! Unless you live in North York, I highly doubt you can get such great tasting Korean food for such a low price in the GTA. If you live around Bathurst and Bloor, definitely go try it! Especially for summer! 

Address: 
621 Bloor St W
Toronto, ON M6G 1K8


(416) 532-9669




View Larger Map

No comments:

Post a Comment