Search This Blog

Friday 10 June 2011

Food makes the world go round


We decided to fine some comfort in food after finishing a difficult stats exam and we decided to eat some Mexican food. We went on the Internet and found El Trompo (The Spin in English) inside Kensington Market. 


This drink is called "Jamaica" I believe. However, it tastes more Chinese than Jamaican lols. The colour, taste and smell reminds me of the Chinese hawthorn drink. For those who don't know, it kinda tastes like cranberry juice mixed with iced tea. All in all, still a very refreshing summer drink. 



My friend ordered a Mexican Iced Tea. Again, it tastes more Chinese than Mexican ironically lols. It also tastes kinda like the drink I ordered, but a bit more sour.


My friend's zucchini quesadilla. It actually tastes as plain as the picture looks. I really don't know what else to say about this, and it costs her $6 I believe.


Melted cheese with sausage and tortillas. I've been craving for melted cheese the past couple of weeks, and I was elated to see this on the menu. I was hungry, I was ready to eat, and my expectation exceeded its taste (I so wished it was the other way around). Sigh. The cheese doesn't have that cheesy taste, it's kinda more like white elastic with washed out sausages. The tortillas were warm, so that was good, but even when it was warm, it is too firm for tortillas. 

Overall Review: 
Food: 7/10
The food does not taste bad, it just doesn't taste good. The meal wasn't memorable at all because the food feels washed out and lack the richness and "colour" in Mexican food. 

Ambience: 6/10
The tiny patio is good for summer, but a bit too squishy. The chairs and table are sticky, I felt gross since I was wearing shorts and short sleeve. 

Service: 8/10
The food came at a relatively fast time. However, it took a while for the server to notice we needed help. I didn't expect such a tiny place to let you pay with debit and credit, and they did, so that's a plus! However, I'm pretty sure when I was paying, the boss was talking about me with the chef in Mexican lols. 

Price: 6/10
I expect way more for the price. Although it's pretty cheap, ~$10-$15, but I definitely didn't get my money's worth quality wise. 

Final Verdict: 6.75/10
I don't think I'm gonna go back to the place. I don't understand why the restaurant has such a high rating on Yelp. 

Address:
277 Augusta Ave
Toronto, ON M5T 2M1
(416) 260-0097


View Larger Map

No comments:

Post a Comment