Search This Blog

Saturday 7 May 2011

Us three spice girls.



For our tiny reunion, we decided to go for some authentic Indian food and this place was recommended by my "tourist friend". The photo above only shows a few of the awards the restaurant got over the years. The place is three stories and it was still crazy packed!


I wish I could show you how authentic the place looks. But I'm tired of my friend saying I look like a tourist in restaurants, so sorry about that :/. They also had Indian music playing softy in the background and the place was dimly lighted which ties the Indian theme well together.


My friend had an ordinary cranberry juice and I had a Lassi (traditional yogurt based Indian drink with spices and rose water). To be honest, it just tastes like diluted and sweetened yogurt. I couldn't taste any spices.


Eggplant curry (dark brown): SUPER spicy for me, even eating with the naan and rice. But this out of the three dishes has the riches and most common curry taste. Also, you can taste the vegetarian-ness if you know what I mean lol unlike some other dishes.


Chicken something curry (not butter chicken): this was my favourite. It tastes more like a dessert than a main dish, because the curry taste is not strong, and it's very sweet and rich with coconut milk. Since I have a ginormous sweet tooth, this dish was perfect. However, the chicken was way over cooked and it's a downer since the curry is so good. This is absolutely the most delicious curry I've had yet.


Chicken red curry: for me, this does not have such as rich curry flavour as the eggplant one and it isn't as sweet as the yellow one and the chicken is just as overcooked. Not my favourite, but my other two friends seem to like this one the best. So for this, I guess you have to try it to know.


Gulab Jamun: traditional Indian dessert that's made of doughy milk solids, deep fried and soaked in syrup, rosewater or other Indian spices.



This was REALLY good. Tastes kinda like cheese balls. If you like cheese and if you like sweets like me, this is the perfect combination of the two and is a must try! Also, this is complimentary to your meals, which is a plus. :) 

Overall Review: 
Food: 9.5/10 
The only downer is the overcooked chicken. Otherwise, the dishes this place serve is very authentic and the flavours were well put together. Everything there is like an explosion of flavours. 

Ambience: 9.5/10 
The only complain I have is that the waiting area is too small, and since it's so crowded, most people have to wait outside the restaurant. During winter, this would be a problem. But otherwise, the restaurant is very dainty and comfortable. 

Service: 10/10 
Despite the load of customers, the service was superb. The servers were very polite and always had a smile on their face when they talked to us. The food also came in a reasonable time frame. Really nothing to complain. 

Price: 8/10
The actual curry was ~10-15$ and the portion was only about the size of a fist. The chicken was overcooked and took up most of the dish. So I think 10$ for dried up chicken is not very reasonable. Overall, each person paid ~20-25$ for the whole meal which is moderate. 

Final Verdict: 9/10 
This is a must go if you want to try Indian food. This restaurant really deserved all the awards they got and have exceeded all my expectations. Little India gives you an Indian food experience unlike any others!

Address: 
255 Queen St W
Toronto, ON M5V 1Z4
(416) 205-9836


View Larger Map

No comments:

Post a Comment