Search This Blog

Thursday 5 January 2012

Krazy for Koreans Pt. 7


So over the Christmas break, my friend brought me to this Korean restaurant "Home of Hot-Taste" and it's surprisingly close to campus. I also eat at restaurants around this street all the time, so I couldn't believe I've never seen this place!


Ddeokbokki (Korean rice cakes). The sauce is runnier than the usual ddeokbokki but the flavours are not compromised. If anything, the sweetness of the gochujang sauce is even stronger than the ones I've had in other Korean restaurants. If you go to this restaurant, definitely give this a try! If you go during lunch time, they have this under their lunch special menu (which is even cheaper than usual).


Rice and seafood stew. First time I've seen this on a menu.


What it is is sheets of dried rice mixed in a very delicious seafood stew with vegetables. This is the perfect dish to have during a cold day because it will literally warm you up from inside out. The flavours of the seafood and the soup base is absorbed by the veggies and the rice cakes. The hardness of the rice sheets and the silky broth seem to work in harmony. All in all, the flavours are there, and the textures give this seemingly simple dish that interesting element.

Overall Review:
Food: 9/10
I like what I've tried so far. One thing that disappointed me is that they used frozen seafood for the broth. You can taste the difference. The soup lacks that freshness because of it.

Ambiance: 6/10
A lazy attempt in decorating the place (and you can tell). Either commit to it or don't do it at all; but don't do half the work.

Service: 7/10
There's one waiter overseeing the whole restaurant right in the middle of lunch time. The service was slow because of that, but I don't blame the waiter. The waiter is actually pretty nice once he got around to help us.

Price: 9.5/10
Pretty dang cheap. We paid $10/person (and we gave him more tips than needed already). We also couldn't finish the food because we were stuffed!

Final Verdict: 8.75/10
I will definitely be a frequent visitor since the food is pretty good and mostly because it's so dang close to campus!

Address:

710 Yonge St
TorontoON M4Y
Neighbourhood: Downtown Core
(416) 975-0000


View Larger Map

No comments:

Post a Comment